HOW IT STARTED
Dave Stewart and Adrian Ravinsky have been in cahoots since Dave got Adrian his first significant restaurant job in 1999, at Ferro on St. Clair (boss Armando Pronesti said 'Sure...but get a haircut'). Over the next 12 years they worked at many of the city's most notorious establishments, gaining experience in all levels of Front of House operations. A couple of years before opening their first establishment, Adrian started a food blog called 416 Snack Bar, dedicated to exploring the city's wide range of under-the-radar culinary offerings - which developed a bit of a following. Finally, in January of 2011, they put a pile of tip money together and opened the brick and mortar version on a shoestring . At the time, good friend/Chef Dustin Gallagher was kind enough to make the opening menu on a serious budget, and in 2014 he became executive chef for the company, and a partner at 416's sister establishment, Peoples Eatery.
STYLE OF DINING
In spain they call this type of food tapas, and here we call it snacks. Definitely not intended to be eaten in an appetizer-main-dessert kinda way, we like to encourage guests to order a few pieces at a time, to ask their friend for a bite of whatever they ordered, and to just take time eating and drinking.
RULES NOT MEANT TO BE BROKEN
1. Resos: Because space is so limited, unfortunately we cannot accept reservations. If you're wondering about booking the place out entirely, we can do so - but only for the entirety of a night's service. Please hit us up in the inquiries field below.
2. Cutlery: There's literally no cutlery in house for guests. All of our snacks are made to be eaten with your hands - if you want to share, you might have to be okay with your friend's cooties.
3. Mod: Because we put out a lotta plates in such a little kitchen, if we took modifications, things would get ugly. We don't want you to wait a long time, and as such, we respectfully ask for your understanding.
4. Split Bills: We only split bills when asked upon arrival. It says so right on the menu, so please don't get mad when we cant divide your 37 items onto 8 separate bills at 9pm on a Friday night.
5. Takeout: We don't do takeout as the food is generally not-so-good cold. However if you want to bring in tupperwares, order at the bar and have us plate into reusable containers - we won't object!